Google
 

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Politically Schizophrenic

OK you ask. As a scientific humanist what flavor of politics do I support. Well let's see. I am pro-choice and pro stem cell research - typically positions favored by the more liberal set. I am in favor of limited government, low taxes and individual freedom and responsibility - which tend toward the libertarian or republican agendas.

I am more consistent on the abortion issue than either political party. Support of a woman's right to choose is 100% consistent with the libertarian philosophy of individual freedom and personal responsibility. Using similar logic I am in favor of an individual's right to medically supervised euthanasia.

I am in favor of public schools, but feel that in many parts of the country - particularly the inner city - parents have abdicated their responsibility to be involved with their children's education with disastrous effects (e.g. 50% drop out rates). I am also appalled by an apparent culture of mediocrity that seems to actively fight against excellence in our schools. I am concerned that many parents choose to remove their children from public schools just because of the non-biblical science curriculum. These parents are putting their children at a significant disadvantage in competing in the new "flat world" environment.

I am in favor of free trade and open immigration standards for highly skilled persons no matter what their country of origin. On the issue of illegal immigrants already here, I believe those that obey the laws (other than the one they broke to get here in the first place) and pay their taxes should be given the opportunity to "legalize" their status. I am in favor of eliminating the automatic citizenship to anyone born here. That privilege should be allowed only to the children of legal immigrants and US citizens.

I believe we were right to take out Saddam but the post take-out strategy has been very poorly managed.

I believe it is time for everyone to stop whining. The culture of victim hood needs to be flipped on its head. Life, government nor anyone else owes you anything. Get over it and get on with it.

This is just a short list. Will need to expand on this later.

No comments: